It’s almost July and you all know what that means…it’s Halloween time! Time to get spooky, witches! No, I do not accept that Halloween is limited to October. If Christmas can get a four-month season, so can All Hallows’ Eve.
Well, fellow Halloween lovers, this year is about to get a whole lot more witchy. The Sanderson Sisters, in all their spellbinding glory, are returning with a new movie on Disney+.
The original Hocus Pocus was released in 1993…29 years ago…and it’s anyone’s guess what the Sandersons have been up to since last millennia. Okay, actually we do know…they were dead. And now, as of September 30, they will not be.
Here’s the teaser trailer that Walt Disney Studios dropped earlier today if you have yet to see it:
Not much is given away as to the plot other than the sisters have returned, but I’m sure we can expect the following:
- Winnie Sanderson (Bette Midler) will perform a showstopping number. Probably at a Halloween party or event.
- The sisters will try to eat some children.
- Mary (Kathy Najiminy) will ride a vacuum cleaner (again).
- Binx (or some other random black cat) makes an appearance.
Some notable differences from the original:
- The town of Salem appears to be a lot more diverse.
- The teens at the center of the plot appear to be hopeful-witches instead of just bumbling kids messing around in an abandoned bookstore.
- There will be drag queens.
- There will also be a character known simply as “the Witch”, played by Ted Lasso‘s Hannah Waddingham. This could indicate that the Sanderson Sisters are not the ultimate antagonists of the film
Eager for the Sandersons to cast a spell on you again? Don’t worry; we only have to wait 94 more days until the film drops on Disney+.