While we are a cosplaying Collective here, I’ll admit I haven’t participated in much crossplay. Um, what’s crossplay, you ask? Well…
It’s basically crossdressing cosplay. Duh. But, more than that, crossplaying gives men and women the opportunity to dress up as their favorite characters without gender-enforced stereotypes, and we love that. While there are some crossplaying dudes, many of them (that I have run into) perform Japanimation crossplay, which I know nothing about. What I do know is that in British and American television, my forte, there are more strong male characters than female characters. Case and point; I am a Doctor Who fan but if I’m dressing up, why do I have to be a companion? Why can’t I be the Doctor? Well, with crossplay, I can and I shall be brilliant. And, let me just add, if you are a purist who thinks that ONLY a man can dress like the Doctor or Sherlock or any other male character, well, bugger off and don’t read this post because you will not be happy.
Last week, my Collective cohort offered up an epic post of femme!Sam and Dean Winchester crossplay and I was inspired to share more with you, Collectors of Awesome. Here are a few of my favorite crossplay outfits to inspire you to dress how you feel, do what you love and fangirl all over whatever fandom you like. So, if you’re a girl but still want to dress like fucken Castiel at your next Con, just remember…
…or gender specifics, me thinks.
1) Doctor Who crossplay. There are 8 different Doctors and they all look bad ass.
2) Crossplaying Loki, the goddess of mischief sure looks the part.
3) Bilbo Baggins crossplay–she has the feet, too!
4) Comic books ain’t just for boys anymore.
5) Johnlock crossplay!? Yes, please!
6) Femme!Jayne is sexy and spot on.
7) AND THEN THERE’S THIS.
**Disclaimer: I do not own, nor claim to own, any of these images or the characters presented therein. If you do, please let me know and I will bake you cookies**
The Collectiva Diva
- Heroes Of Cosplay (m.ew.com)
- Geek Chic: ‘Supernatural’ Cosplay (acollectivemind.wordpress.com)
- 65 Cosplay Pictures From San Diego Comic Con 2013 (neatorama.com)
- FASHION REVIEW: Luke Skywalker Crossplay (geeksyndicate.co.uk)
- The Hottest Trends In Crossplay At Comic-Con (buzzfeed.com)
- Sexualized Saturdays: Crossplay and Gender (ladygeekgirl.wordpress.com)